British Squad announced for European Championships
British Showjumping selectors have announced the UK Sport National Lottery funded showjumping squad for the upcoming FEI European Championships, which take place in Aachen, Germany (19-23 August 2015).
This summer’s event is the last major Championship before next year’s Olympic Games; Great Britain’s jumpers will be looking to cement their place for Rio 2016 at this final qualifying event.
The selected team has been named as (in alphabetical order):
- Joe Clee (37) who is based in Belgium with Ludwig Criel’s Utamaro d’Ecaussines
- Ben Maher MBE (32) from Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire with Tatiana Korsakova’s British bred Diva II
- Jessica Mendoza (19) who is based in The Netherlands with Sarah Mendoza’s British bred Spirit T
- Michael Whitaker (55) from Whatton, Nottinghamshire with Beverley Widdowson’s Cassionato
- Guy Williams (44) who is based in France, with Charlotte Baines’ and his own Titus II
Chef d’Equipe Di Lampard commented; “We are all entirely focussed on the job we have ahead of us. Qualifying for Rio is at the forefront of our minds and we are absolutely committed to giving Great Britain the chance to defend the Team Gold title which was won at London 2012. We move forward to Aachen as a strong united team and are looking forward to the Championships and all it brings.”
Non-travelling reserves (in order of selection):
- Robert Whitaker (32) from Sidcup, Kent with Mandy Hall and Clare Whitakers Catwalk IV
- William Whitaker (26) from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire with Elisabeth Fredlund’s Fandango
All four selected athletes contest the team competition (with the three best scores counting); the top twenty-five horse/rider combinations will be invited to contest the Grand Prix from which the Individual medals are decided.
There will be three Olympic qualifying places awarded from the 2015 European Championships in Aachen. These places will be awarded to the highest placed nations after the Team Final (not counting any nations who have already qualified). The nations that have already achieved qualification for Rio 2016 and who will be competing at the European Championships are: The Netherlands, France, Germany and Sweden.
Equestrian Team GBR is supported by the UK Sport National Lottery funded World Class Programme; the British teams are very grateful to the support they receive from official Team GBR suppliers Dodson & Horrell, Equi-Trek, Land Rover, NAF, NuuMed, Point Two Equine, Tagg Equestrian and Toggi.
Jessica Mendoza and William Whitaker are both members of the UK Sport National Lottery funded World Class Programme Podium Potential squad.
Source: British Show Jumping