Harrie Smolders and Emerald finished fourth in the Grand Prix of Valkenswaard next to Doda Miranda, Simon Delestre and Gerco Schroder.
After a tremendous season in 2013, Harrie Smolders has earned two spots on the 2014 Dutch Olympic Squad. Harrie had already earned a placement on the Team with the lovely Exquis Walnut de Muze but now after an impressive season, Harrie earns his second spot with the talented Belgian-bred stallion Emerald, owned by Axel Verlooy of Eurohorse.
The 10 year old stallion, Diamant de Semilly x Carthago, has joined the squad after great performances in 2013. These include winning the Nations Cup in Gijon with the Dutch Team, winning the Mercedes Benz Prize in Aachen, finishing second in the CSI5* Grand Prix of Antwerp and winning the Grand Prix of Lanaken. Recently at the London Olympia Horse show, the pair finished fourth in the Olympia Grand Prix, just behind Penelope Leprevost of France.
The main event everyone will be concentrating on this season will be the World Equestrian Games in September. Dutch Chef d’Equipe Rob Ehrens Olympic squad now consists of:
- Gert-Jan Bruggink with Primeval Dejavu
- Marc Houtzager with Sterrehof’s Tamino
- Gerco Schröder with London
- Frank Schuttert with Winchester HS
- Leon Thijssen with Tyson
- Maikel van der Vleuten with VDL Groep Verdi
- Jur Vrieling with VDL Bubalu
- Harrie Smolders with Exquis Walnut de Muze and Emerald
- Willem Greve with Carambole
- Leon Thijssen with Harthago
- Maikel van der Vleuten with VDL Groep Sapphire
- Jur Vrieling with VDL Zirocco Blue