obert Splaine (Middle) seen with last year’s winning Team for Ireland at the 2012 Dublin Horse show
The manager of Ireland showjumping team, Robert Splaine, escaped unhurt in the early hours of this morning (Thursday) when a component of a fridge exploded in the room where he and his son were staying in the Burlington Hotel, Dublin. Splaine said this morning that he had been staying in the Burlington with his son David, when they were awoken in their room at 5am by the sound of a loud explosion.
“It was a bit of a shock to hear such a loud sound so close but when we switched on the light we could see no signs of what might have caused the explosion. The room, however, was soon filled by a very pungent odour and at that point the staff of the hotel came to the door and told us the hotel was being evacuated.
“Fire brigades and ambulances had arrived by this stage and all the hotel guests were assembled outside. The emergency services were very good, I have to say, and looked after the situation marvellously.
“We were then allowed to return to the hotel and given another room, of course. I was told later that the cause of the explosion was a gas canister, that was one of the components at the back of the empty fridge in our room. No-one was hurt and by the time it was all over it was time to get up anyway, so we didn’t get any more sleep. It’s lucky that both my son and I are early risers.”
Source: Horse Sport Ireland