Robert Splaine, Ireland’s Showjumping Team Manager, has announced the Investec Irish Showjumping squad for the European Championships due to take place at Aachen in Germany from August 19-23rd.
The Investec Irish Showjumping squad for the Europeans will be:
- Bertram Allen (20), County Wexford, & Molly Malone V – 2004 grey mare owned by Ballywalter Farms
- Greg Broderick (29), County Tipperary, & MHS Going Global (ISH) – 2006 bay gelding owned by Caledonia Stables. Bred by Ita Brennan, Co. Kilkenny
- Darragh Kenny (27), County Offaly, & Sans Soucis Z – 2003 chestnut gelding owned by Caroline E Lloyd
- Denis Lynch (39), County Tipperary, & All Star 5 – 2003 bay gelding owned by Thomas Straumann
- Cian O’Connor (36), County Meath, & Good Luck – 2006 bay stallion owned by Adena Springs
The European squad includes four of the riders and three of the horses that helped Ireland win the Aga Khan Trophy at the Discover Ireland Dublin Horse Show last week.
In order to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, the Investec Irish showjumping team must finish in the top three from amongst those countries not already qualified for the 2016 Olympics, following last years World Equestrian Games. The four European countries already qualified are France, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden. 24 teams are entered to compete at the 2015 European Championships in Showjumping.
Source: Horse Sport Ireland