Do you know what’s going on with horse slaughter in the States?
Most of us don't - or didn't. And that includes me, your host, Caroline. Even though so many of us are horse lovers through and through, the riding community doesn't talk much about slaughter. It's easy to think, "those horses aren't our horses."
This is an emotionally charged topic with implications for horse welfare and public safety, but this episode tries its best to present some facts so that we can find common ground on which to improve outcomes for horses and humans alike. Because what's happening currently is unacceptable.
In this episode, Caroline Howe from Horse Welfare Collective joins us to discuss:
- Why the state of horse slaughter is so dire right now, despite the fact that it's effectively banned in the U.S.
- Understanding what drives the horse meat market
- Where many horses who end up on trucks originate from
- The "unwanted horse" and what happens to a surplus of horses when slaughter is banned
- Safety issues around using horses for meat
- Financial incentives around horse slaughter
Go to https://www.horsewelfarecollective.org/ to learn more.